The ketogenic diet may sound complicated, but it’s actually quite simple. Stay away from carbs, stay away from sugar, and OH – eat lots and lots of healthy fats.
Eating more fat can be a foreign concept for many while working towards losing fat, but it’s a proven effective method for weight loss when the body intakes so few carbs that the body’s main energy source becomes something called “ketones” which are created by the liver when converting fat to energy.
Cutting out carbs and sweets is an instant challenge when it comes to satisfying that sweet tooth on a Keto diet. So we wanted to make a recipe that not only worked as a sweet dessert or snack, but also had high-fat content to help the body create those ketones you need for fat burning and energy.
This recipe does all of that, naturally. With powerhouse ingredients such as coconut oil, natural peanut butter, pecans, dark chocolate and stevia (a natural sugar supplement) it comes together to make a perfect break-apart bark that you simply store in your fridge to enjoy for weeks to come.
Give this recipe a try, to keep you on track and happy while participating in a low-carb, high-fat diet such as the Keto diet. It’s ridiculously satisfying to that sweet tooth while providing a clean source of protein and healthy fats.
For a more in-depth look at the Ketogenic Diet, try reading more about it HERE.
- 1/2 cup All Natural Peanut Butter (we used Kraft Natural Peanut Butter with Sea Salt)
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 packs (or 8 drops) Stevia Sweetener (or other sweetener of choice)
- 1 cup Pecans (halved)
- 1/2 cup Pecans, chopped
- 1oz 90% Dark Chocolate
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil (for drizzle)
- Microwave-safe mixing bowl
- Parchment paper lined sheet pan
- Scoop both 1/2 cup of your natural peanut butter along with 1/2 cup of coconut oil into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 20-30 seconds, then stir until the coconut oil melts completely and the mixture of the two are well combined.
- Add your 1 cup of pecans, stevia and vanilla and mix well.
- Pour immediately into your parchment paper lined sheet pan, tipping it to create an even layer.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans on top.
- Melt together approx 1oz of dark chocolate along with 1 tsp of coconut oil in a microwave safe bowl for approx. 20 seconds to create a drizzle. Drizzle over the bark mixture with a spoon.
- Place the whole sheet pan in the freezer for 30 minutes to set.
- Remove from freezer, break apart, and store in air-tight container or bag in the fridge for easy snacking.
- *Please note: They will melt if left at room temperature, and are meant to be enjoyed chilled or frozen*
So you're on a low-carb diet, and the first thing you're struggling with is breakfast.
Following a new diet on your own can be hard, especially when you don't have a team of support systems at home following the diet...
I'm all about grilling in the summertime! In fact, we make most of our meals on the barbecue when the weather cooperates.
When adopting a new diet it can be hard to follow through unless you have a support system.
Snacking is the sneakiest culprit in derailing your diet. One bite here and one bite there seems innocent enough until the day...
Chicken is widely popular because it's high in protein but low in calories and rich in essential vitamins.
Thanksgiving preparation is hard enough, add in dietary restrictions and then the level of complications keeps rising.
When it comes to a low-carb diet such as the ever-popular Ketogenic Diet (read more on that HERE).
If you're following the Keto diet, there's one sort-of holiday that can be extra depressing and is none other than Pancake...
While I don't love all vegetables, I am definitely up for trying new things (at least once).
If there's one type of food we can all get on board with, it's Mexican food!
Switching to any new diet can be difficult. Often, you're forced to give up the foods you love but I believe the key to success is...