I love Shark Week. I have enough t-shirts to wear every day of the week to celebrate, and have often been known to have a little “kick off” party with some fun snacks to commemorate one of the best weeks of the year.
I really wanted to make shark fin pops, but I honestly just didn’t want to have to deal with the time and effort of a cake pop. So, as per usual, that got me into brainstorming mode to think about what I could dip in chocolate that would be the shape of a shark fin.
Then the a-ha moment.
APPLE SLICES CUT IN HALF MAKE PERFECT FINS.
I took out a sketch pad and made the plans…and they WORKED!
I’d love to say they lasted long, but the kids were all “but they’re healthy desserts” and my resolve was gone and they ate them all in one night. However, this is a good thing – dipped apple slices are the perfect last minute treat, but should be consumed same-day! So yes, you can eat them all…. (permission granted).
Take a bite!
- 2 Apples
- 2 cups blue candy melt wafers
- 1/2 cup red candy melt wafers
- Optional decorations: gummy sharks, blue sugar crystals
- 2 microwave safe mixing bowls
- Sharp knife
- Lollipop Sticks
- Parchment paper lined baking sheet
- First melt your candy melts (coloured white chocolate wafers), separately by color, in 30 second intervals in the microwave until fully melted.
- Cut your apple slices first lengthwise as you would normally, then in half to make the "fins".
- Pierce each apple fin with a lollipop stick, halfway into your apple slice halves.
- Dip the apples one at a time into the blue melted candy wafers, making sure all the apple is well coated, and gently shake off the excess chocolate. Place onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Before the blue chocolate has set, begin to decorate with gummy sharks, and blue sugar crystals (or any other decorations of your choice). Drizzle some with the red melted chocolate wafers for a "bloody" appearance.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy same-day so the apples remain fresh!
When we think of pumpkins we are often quick to bring our minds to fond memories of pies, lattes and carvings, right?
Who can resist a warm, rich, chocolatey brownie? Not me! But if you're committed to the Ketogenic diet then you likely have to...
Spring has finally sprung and we are all about it. While winter had us craving hearty, comfort food-esque dinners, springtime...
Baking with all-purpose flour is one of the easiest and accessible types of flours to purchase.
We all experience it - the need for a boost in energy. Coffee definitely comes in hand, but what if there's a way to incorporate...
There's nothing quite like the smell of freshly baked banana bread, is there?
If you've ever been on a low-carb diet you know real fast that breakfast especially can be a challenge.
By now I think it is fair to say almost everyone knows what it means to be gluten-free.
Fruit cobbler is a delicious, light dessert that is best enjoyed warm, gooey, and straight from the oven!
For many, cheese is one of the hardest foods to give up when you adopt a vegan diet, no matter the reason you've decided to cut...
Does anyone else have horrible allergies? The kind that makes your nose simultaneously stuffed up and dripping, your eyes watery...
It's officially summer and that means it's grilling season! Unfortunately, not everybody has a barbeque.