One of the best parts of summer for a lot of people out there is enjoying the berries and other fresh fruits the season brings to us.
From early June through September we get to enjoy ripe raspberries, plumb strawberries, tart rhubarb, blueberries, blackberries and much more.
In addition to this, summer is also the perfect time to relax on the back deck or at the cottage and sip a cocktail.
You can enjoy the best of both worlds by making some cool and refreshing cocktails using summer fruits!
The recipes and handy bar tips below will help get you started and before you know it, you’ll be an expert mixologist with a degree in summer fruits!
Essential Bar Tools and Descriptions:
- Bar Spoon –a spoon with a long handle, used for stirring drinks in tall glasses.
- Blender –used for making blended frozen drinks such as margaritas or daiquiris.
- Bottle opener –essential for opening bottles without twist off tops.
- Corkscrew –while many wine bottles these days have screw top caps, there are still those that don’t so a corkscrew is a necessary tool for any bar.
- Cutting board –used for preparing garnishes or cutting up fruits.
- Jigger –a metal measuring device with two cones, one that usually holds 1 ½ oz and the other holds 1 oz. Used for precise measuring of liquids.
- Muddler –a thick stick usually made of wood or stainless steel, used to mash ingredients together in the bottom of a shaker or glass.
- Paring knife –a small short bladed knife used fur cutting up fruits and making garnishes.
- Shaker –available in several materials including metal, plastic and glass, used to mix drink ingredients together with ice.
- Strainer –a small strainer used with cocktail shakers that don’t have a built in strainer (such as the Boston Shaker)
5 Berry Cocktails for Summer
*Click images for full recipes
Strawberry Smash Cocktail
Raspberry Beer Cocktail
Blackberry Pineapple Cocktail
Raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and cherries—oh my!
Did you know that March is "Caffeine Awareness Month"? I didn't either!
For many parts of North America, once we hit June, we know it's officially the start of summer.
Drinks are often the most last minute, and sometimes forgotten element of a party.
If there's one season that screams cocktails, it has to be summer...
With the holidays comes seasonal flavors that will capture the essence of the season, and create warm holiday memories.
It's finally spring time, the birds are singing, the sun is shining and the temperature is rising, and we inch closer to beach...
We need so much water everyday, that sometimes it can feel like a chore trying to fit it all in.
The little kids scream for milkshakes, soda pop floats, and slushies come summertime—but what’s left for the big kids?
The perfect drink for summer has always been Iced Tea! Instead of drinking the same old store bought iced tea, swap it out for...
It’s hot out there today! Thankfully, we can all taste a little bit of respite in August 20, 2015, which marks Lemonade Day!
Happy National Mojito Day! This mixed drink is one of my favorite summer beverages.