I remember when someone told me their favorite vegetable dish was Roasted Brussels Sprouts. I was not only shocked, but disgusted. All of my childhood cartoons and memories taught me that Brussels sprouts were disgusting balls of mush and were to be avoided at all costs.
Then I tried them, homemade, roasted in some olive oil and salt & pepper. The first couple bites were an adjustment period, then before I knew it I had eaten the entire pan.
I’m working on that self-control thing 😉
As someone who adheres to a plant-based diet, finding ways to love nutrient rich vegetables is kind of key. Brussels sprouts for the last 4 years have been an ongoing love affair, and I’m constantly finding new ways to fall in love with them.
So, with that – I decided to create a creamy, tangy, spicy sauce (aka: bang bang sauce) to put on my beloved roasted sprouts. They were ridiculously good. SO good in fact that when I tested them out on a crowd by bringing them to a family feast, they were gone so fast and I heard one diner say “why the heck are these sprouts so good? I can’t stop eating them”. EXACTLY the reaction I was hoping for.
My co-worker made them for her family too and reported back that “there were no leftovers”. Apparently they lack the self-control thing as well. With this recipe, I don’t blame them.
I think we are onto something here, and I highly HIGHLY suggest bringing these to a Thanksgiving or Christmas feast…it’s easy to make, and you’ll get so many compliments you’ll be riding that high for days.
- 6 cups baby Brussels Sprouts (can also use full size, just halved)
- Olive Oil
- 1 cup vegan mayo (can sub with regular mayo)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1-2 tbsp horseradish (depending on taste/spice preference)
- 1-2 tbsp Sriracha (depending on taste/spice preference)
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 5 slices of Lemon
- Parchment or Foil Lined Baking Sheet
- Medium Mixing Bowl
- Casserole Dish
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a parchment/foil lined baking sheet, spread out your sprouts and drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt & pepper and toss with your hands before roasting for 35-45 minutes, turning half way. They will be done when they are softened and crisped to a golden brown on the outside.
- While they roast, prepare your bang bang sauce by mixing together your mayo, garlic, horseradish, sriracha and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Remove roasted sprouts from oven once they're golden brown, crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, transfer them into a casserole dish.
- Pour the bang bang sauce over the roasted sprouts, tossing lightly to coat. Top with sliced lemons, and BROIL in the oven on HIGH for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve!
Every new year comes new diet trends and we're on a mission to discover what they are and help you understand why they're...
Here's the thing, we tend to put a lot of emphasis on what we shouldn't be eating but it's time the foods we really should be...
Beyond Meat is spreading like wildfire. More and more fast-food chains are hopping on the plant-based bandwagon.
The news everyone has been waiting for is finally here. On September 26, 2019, McDonald's announced they have begun a partnership...
Surely you've heard the word antioxidant thrown around time and time again.
The paleolithic diet, also known as the paleo diet, the caveman diet, or the stone-age diet is a meal plan that predominately...
There's no better way to wind down from a busy day than to catch up on your favorite shows with snacks in hand, amirite?
The 77th annual Golden Globes took place last night, Sunday, January 5th, 2020 and while many had their eyes fixed on the...
The vegan diet continues to gain popularity and not to mention lactose allergies are on the rise too.
Earlier this week Starbucks announced that they're officially offering 2 new non-dairy beverages nationwide.
Silk, America's number 1 plant-based beverage brand has added a brand new product to its dairy-free lineup and you seriously need...
Blue Diamond Growers is entering 2020 with a brand new product, Blue Diamond Almond Protein Powder made from 100% pure almond...