Looking for a meat-free alternative to a classic chicken salad sandwich? We’ve got it for you. The chunky, flavorful, protein-rich power of chickpeas makes this a tangy salad that will satisfy you much beyond lunch.
When we made this recipe, it was clear it was going to be good…because I couldn’t keep my tasting spoon out of the bowl! I loved the kicks of mustard, and the sweetness of apple, it’s ridiculously satisfying.
What else I love? It doesn’t need refrigeration! Since there’s no dairy or meat products in the sandwich…it can safely be packed up at room temperature without risk.
Also, just a little side note – but if you’d like a little extra kick, a shot of Sriracha won’t hurt 😉
- 1 Medium Carrot, peeled & shredded
- 1 (15oz) can of Chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup Celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup Green Apple, diced small
- 1/4 cup Red Onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup Kale pieces
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard (we used grainy)
- 2 tsbp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds (shells removed)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Optional** Sriracha, for spice!
- Bread for serving (we used a Gluten Free variety!)
- Food Processor (can use a shredder and potato masher in substitute)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Start by shredding your carrot in your food processor, setting aside. Next, add your chickpeas into the food processor and pulse just until it's chunky, but not completely blended (only pulse a few times for this!). If you don't have a food processor, you can hand shred the carrots, and mash the chickpeas with a potato masher easily!
- In a large mixing bowl, begin mixing your chickpeas with the shredded carrots, and the rest of the ingredients until well blended.
- Season and spice to taste, then spoon onto sandwich bread, spread, slice and enjoy!