If you’ve purchased ground beef recently, there is a chance it has been recalled! The U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food and Safety just announced that Lakeside Refrigerated Services, a Swedesboro, N.J. establishment is recalling about 42, 922 pounds of ground beef products that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7. The possible raw ground beef products that are effected were produced on June 1, 2020.
The contaminated raw ground beef was shipped nationwide to major retailers and can be found under the brand names Markestside Butcher and Thomas Farms. The affected packages were packaged on June 1, 2020, and feature an establishment number, EST. 46841, inside the USDA mark of inspection on each package.
According the statement from the USDA the recalled packages include:
- 1-lb. vacuum packages containing “MARKETSIDE BUTCHER ORGANIC GRASS-FED GROUND BEEF” and a use or freeze by date of 07/01/20 and lot code P-53298-82.
- 1-lb. vacuum packages containing four ¼ lb. pieces of “MARKETSIDE BUTCHER ORGANIC GRASS-FED GROUND BEEF PATTIES” and a use or freeze by date of June 27, 2020 and lot code P-53934-28.
- 3-lb. vacuum packages containing three 1 lb. pieces of “MARKETSIDE BUTCHER ORGANIC GRASS-FED GROUND BEEF 93% LEAN / 7% FAT” and a use or freeze by date of 07/01/20 and lot code P53929-70.
- 1-lb. tray packages containing four ¼ lb. pieces of “THOMAS FARMS GRASS-FED GROUND BEEF PATTIES 85% LEAN / 15% FAT” and a use or freeze by date of 06/25/20 and lot code P53944-10.
- 4-lb. tray packages containing 10 ¼ lb. pieces of “THOMAS FARMS GRASS-FED GROUND BEEF PATTIES 80% LEAN / 20% FAT” and a use or freeze by date of 06/25/20 and lot code P53937-45.
- 1-lb. vacuum packages containing four ¼ lb. pieces of “THOMAS FARMS GRASS-FED GROUND BEEF PATTIES 85% LEAN / 15% FAT” and a use or freeze by date of 06/27/20 and lot code P53935-25.
- 1-lb. vacuum packages containing “VALUE PACK FRESH GROUND BEEF 76% LEAN / 24% FAT” and a use or freeze by date of 07/01/20 and lot code P53930-18.
This recalled is classified as a Class I recall. According to the USDA’s website, this means “This is a health hazard situation where there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death.”
The problem was discovered during routine food safety inspections. So far no customers have reported illness as a result of eating the meat. That said, anyone who is concerned or thinks they may have the illness should contact a healthcare provider right away.
Symptoms of E. coli O157:H7 include dehydration, bloody diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. The symptoms typically begin about three to four days after exposure. Most people recover within a week, but some people can develop a type of kidney failure called hemolytic uremic syndrome. This condition can happen to anyone but it’s most common in children under 5 years old as well as older adults. These symptoms include easy bruising, pallor, and decreased urine output. Anyone experiencing these symptoms should seek emergency medical care immediately.
So it’s time to go check your fridge and freezer and see if you have any of these affected products. If you do have raw ground beef that is a part of this recall, the USDA recommends that you should throw it away immediately or return to the place of purchase.
ICYMI: This isn’t the first ground beef recall this year. Earlier this year 2,020 pounds of ground beef were recalled due to possible foreign matter contamination.
Ground beef is an inexpensive ingredient. It cooks quickly and it can be incorporated into many different recipes.
Summer is officially here and what better way to treat yourself and stay cool than with a refreshing beverage in hand!
We might be right in the middle of a blazing hot summer but if you find yourself missing everything about fall then we have...
Merry Christmas... in July?! Yes, Mars, Incorporated wants to get you in the holiday spirit early this year!
Every day will feel like your birthday when you enjoy a Funfetti treat!
Every coffee lover knows that there is nothing quite like starting your morning with a delicious cup of coffee to get your day...
Ice cream is one of the best treats to enjoy in the summer. It's sweet, refreshing and there is virtually a flavor for everyone!
Fairlife is renowned for its wide range of better-for-you products like their ultra-filtered milk which features 50 percent more...
Mmm... is there anything more delicious than chicken parm? It's perfectly crispy on the outside with tender chicken on the inside...
This year has proven to be the year of the tiger! Earlier this year, Netflix's American true-crime documentary miniseries, 'Tiger...
IKEA is renowned for its modern, affordable furniture but they also offer delicious food.
Chipotle Mexican Grill is committed to serving its guests fresh meal items and is dedicated to sourcing ingredients from ethically...