Granola costs a small fortune at the grocery store, yet it’s incredibly easy and cost-efficient to make it yourself at home. This way, you can also customize the recipe to your own tastes and perhaps dietary restrictions. There’s one truly unique part to this recipe though, and that’s the fact that is done with only one tool – a crock pot (or slow-cooker, whatever you call it. Tomato, tomatoh). From mixing to cooking – it’s all done in one place, and when it’s finished, you can easily store it away for weeks of use (it makes a LOT of granola), or freeze in an airtight container for months of use. Granola is a easy snack to have as a cereal or a yogurt topper. Rich with natural sugars, and high fibre oats – this is a perfect addition to your daily intake.
- 4 cups rolled oats (we used large flake oats, use gluten-free if needed)
- 1 1/4 cup of chopped almonds, pecans, whole pepitas (or your nuts/seeds of choice)
- 1/4 cup flax, ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup - 1 cup dried fruit, chopped (cranberries, pears, plums, apples, apricot were all used here)
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Spray the inside of your crock pot with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place all your oats, flax, salt, nuts/seeds and cinnamon in the crock pot and mix to combine.
- Pour in your coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract and mix until all the dry mixture is coated with the wet mixture.
- Turn the crock pot onto high, and let cook for 3 hours. Leave the lid slightly off, if your crock pot does not have a steam-escape vent.
- Every 30 minutes, give the granola a good mix. This will prevent the oats and nuts from burning.
- When the nuts are roasted, and the oats are crisp, turn off the crock pot and let cool. Stir in your chopped dried fruit.
- Store in air tight containers (we used mason jars).
Black Friday is quickly approaching! Along with Thanksgiving prep, many of us are eagerly scouting the flyers and websites for the...
It seems like everybody is sick this Spring. People are dropping like flies!
Summer is one of the most sought-after seasons of the year. If you experience cold winter months then you surely appreciate those...
Kids can be picky eaters and when it comes to the snacking department they often beg for the most unhealthy choices!
Have you ever gotten stuck falling, or diving head-first, down a rabbit hole of amazingly satisfying food videos on Facebook or...
Fish is full of healthy fats, making it the perfect well-rounded dinner.
Bloating happens when the stomach becomes swollen after eating and that feeling is never a fun experience.
Breakfast is often called the most important meal of the day. It can also be the most delicious meal of the day!
We've all heard it before "be sure to get a good night sleep". But do you know how important that statement really is?
Granola bars are perfect for so many moments: breakfast time; an at-work or school-safe snack; a picnic, playground, or...
Granola is delicious breakfast food, whether it's with yogurt, milk (or non-dairy milk!), or on its own.
Here's the thing, we tend to put a lot of emphasis on what we shouldn't be eating but it's time the foods we really should be...