I love baking sugar cookies with my kids, however – it’s always such a process between all the dough making, the rolling out, cutting, baking, and decorating. To cut out even ONE step of that process is a lifesaver or in this case, a jolly rancher.
By cutting the center of the dough out and placing a jolly rancher in the “window” you create a unique stained glass look to the cookie that’s so stunning you don’t even need to decorate it! They come out of the oven ready to cool and serve.
- 1 batch sugar cookie dough (homemade or store bought)
- 12 jolly ranchers in pink, red & purple
- Parchment paper
- Cookie Sheet
- Heart shaped cookie cutters (one big one small)
- Preheat your oven to the directions of your sugar cookie dough. Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Flour your surface and roll out your cookie dough to about 1/4 inch thickness, cut out the large heart followed by the smaller heart centre. Remove just the outside heart and place on the parchment lined cookie sheet. Repeat until you've used all your dough.
- Place a jolly rancher into the centre of each cookie and place in the oven. Follow the directions of your cookie dough for bake times, typically 7-8 minutes or until lightly golden brown on the edges and the jolly ranchers completely melted.
- Let sit and cool until the candy centre has completely hardened again. Once ready, you can serve immediately or pack in an air-tight container for later serving.