Vegan baking sounds tricky – how do you make things delicious, bind well, and come out not being noticeably different? Where there’s a will, there’s a way…and us plant-based recipe lovers are determined folk. With the use of a little secret weapon called “Aquafaba” (the liquid in canned chickpeas) these macaroons hold perfectly, bake up sweetly (without sugar) and are perfect for those on a low-carb or Ketogenic diet as well! Double win!
You’ll be shocked at how well these turn out. They were eaten up quickly here by everyone (including vegan, low-carb dieters and otherwise). A true hit!
For the chocolate in this recipe, we were able to use sugar-free dark chocolate chips. If you’re unable to find these, simply use an 85-90% dark chocolate (be sure there is no dairy) as this type of dark chocolate should keep the carb count low!
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup erythritol or monk fruit sweetener
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (liquid in canned chickpeas)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free, sugar-free dark chocolate chips (or 90% dark)
- Sheet pan
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place 1 cup of the unsweetened shredded coconut on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spread out.
- Toast in the oven for 4-5 minutes, watching carefully to make sure it toasts to a golden brown and doesn't burn.
- Mix almond flour, toasted & untoasted shredded coconut, sweetener, aquafaba, almond extract and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Scoop a tablespoon at a time and form ball shapes and place on your parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool before moving to the next step.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt your dark chocolate. Carefully pick up the macaroons one at a time, and dip into the chocolate before returning to the parchment lined baking sheet. Continue this until all the macaroons are dipped.
- Should you have any extra dark chocolate, simply drizzle the tops of each macaroon for an added touch.
- Refrigerate to let the chocolate set, then enjoy!
Following a new diet on your own can be hard, especially when you don't have a team of support systems at home following the diet...
If there's one type of food we can all get on board with, it's Mexican food!
A&W Canada is back at it again and is listening loud and clear to the needs and wants of their customers.
When you follow a restrictive diet, the hardest part about any holiday can be the food options.
How many times have you pulled out your butternut squash just before supper and realized you don't have enough time to cook it...
Switching to any new diet can be difficult. Often, you're forced to give up the foods you love but I believe the key to success is...
Some would consider quinoa a superfood, and for good reason! It's chock full of vitamins and minerals and is an excellent source...
Whether you're a seasoned Ketogenic dieter, or new to the game, you've likely struggled with one major thing - SNACKS.
Holidays are great because they generally mean you get to spend more quality time with friends and family and feast on delicious...
Buckle up Canadian friends because the news we've all been waiting to hear is finally here!
Staying on track with your diet during any holiday can be extremely difficult.
Who doesn't love a good potluck? They're the best because it often means that there will be loads of food and a wonderful variety...