Vegan baking sounds tricky – how do you make things delicious, bind well, and come out not being noticeably different? Where there’s a will, there’s a way…and us plant-based recipe lovers are determined folk. With the use of a little secret weapon called “Aquafaba” (the liquid in canned chickpeas) these macaroons hold perfectly, bake up sweetly (without sugar) and are perfect for those on a low-carb or Ketogenic diet as well! Double win!
You’ll be shocked at how well these turn out. They were eaten up quickly here by everyone (including vegan, low-carb dieters and otherwise). A true hit!
For the chocolate in this recipe, we were able to use sugar-free dark chocolate chips. If you’re unable to find these, simply use an 85-90% dark chocolate (be sure there is no dairy) as this type of dark chocolate should keep the carb count low!
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup erythritol or monk fruit sweetener
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (liquid in canned chickpeas)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free, sugar-free dark chocolate chips (or 90% dark)
- Sheet pan
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place 1 cup of the unsweetened shredded coconut on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spread out.
- Toast in the oven for 4-5 minutes, watching carefully to make sure it toasts to a golden brown and doesn't burn.
- Mix almond flour, toasted & untoasted shredded coconut, sweetener, aquafaba, almond extract and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Scoop a tablespoon at a time and form ball shapes and place on your parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool before moving to the next step.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt your dark chocolate. Carefully pick up the macaroons one at a time, and dip into the chocolate before returning to the parchment lined baking sheet. Continue this until all the macaroons are dipped.
- Should you have any extra dark chocolate, simply drizzle the tops of each macaroon for an added touch.
- Refrigerate to let the chocolate set, then enjoy!
While I don't love all vegetables, I am definitely up for trying new things (at least once).
Summer is in full swing and what better way to celebrate the warm weather than to dig into delicious food!
Diets can be so hard to follow especially when strong cravings hit.
Barbeque sauce is a summer staple, but it's a hard one to get around if you're on the Keto diet since it's generally packed full...
Snacks are sneaky foods that can derail our diets, especially when following the keto diet.
Let me start by answering the question I know you're wondering - "Is this dressing good enough that I should actually take the...
Chicken wings are a favorite meal for many, whether you're eating out at a restaurant or sitting around the dinner table with your...
Fat bombs are an essential part of the Keto diet, allowing you to intake a large amount of healthy fats in just a couple of bites.
These little Cobb Salads on a Stick are all the deliciousness of a loaded cobb salad without the mess or need to sit down to enjoy...
Some may have been lured into the keto diet for weight loss, while others may have been attracted to the idea of indulging in...
Starting a new diet can be daunting and difficult and staying committed to that diet can be even harder.
In short, the goal of the keto diet is to fuel your body with the right foods so that your body can enter a metabolic state called...