Vegan baking sounds tricky – how do you make things delicious, bind well, and come out not being noticeably different? Where there’s a will, there’s a way…and us plant-based recipe lovers are determined folk. With the use of a little secret weapon called “Aquafaba” (the liquid in canned chickpeas) these macaroons hold perfectly, bake up sweetly (without sugar) and are perfect for those on a low-carb or Ketogenic diet as well! Double win!
You’ll be shocked at how well these turn out. They were eaten up quickly here by everyone (including vegan, low-carb dieters and otherwise). A true hit!
For the chocolate in this recipe, we were able to use sugar-free dark chocolate chips. If you’re unable to find these, simply use an 85-90% dark chocolate (be sure there is no dairy) as this type of dark chocolate should keep the carb count low!
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup erythritol or monk fruit sweetener
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (liquid in canned chickpeas)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free, sugar-free dark chocolate chips (or 90% dark)
- Sheet pan
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place 1 cup of the unsweetened shredded coconut on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spread out.
- Toast in the oven for 4-5 minutes, watching carefully to make sure it toasts to a golden brown and doesn't burn.
- Mix almond flour, toasted & untoasted shredded coconut, sweetener, aquafaba, almond extract and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Scoop a tablespoon at a time and form ball shapes and place on your parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool before moving to the next step.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt your dark chocolate. Carefully pick up the macaroons one at a time, and dip into the chocolate before returning to the parchment lined baking sheet. Continue this until all the macaroons are dipped.
- Should you have any extra dark chocolate, simply drizzle the tops of each macaroon for an added touch.
- Refrigerate to let the chocolate set, then enjoy!
The holidays are my favorite time of year. Mostly because of the twinkly lights, the sparkly ornaments on a dazzling tree and of...
Has anyone else been seeing versions of Big Mac Sauce popping up at the grocery store? I sure have.
Egg rolls are delicious, let's be honest. But they're crazy unhealthy because they're usually deep fried in those little wrappers!
These Big Mac Bites are absolutely drool-worthy and the Copycat Big Mac Sauce is spot on - you wouldn't even know it didn't come...
Bailey's Irish Cream anyone? So delicious. But also packed with sugar, which is a definite no-no when you're on the Keto diet.
Bulletproof coffee is huge in the Keto Diet community, but it actually has benefits for everyone regardless of whether you're on a...
What is your biggest challenge when you start a new diet? For me, it's sugar. Forget the deep fried food - I can skip that.
Is anybody else obsessed with Heluva Good Dip? I'm seriously addicted.
Following a new diet can be both exciting and daunting and following through with that diet is never easy!
Summer is in full swing and what better way to celebrate the warm weather than to dig into delicious food!
Granola bars are perfect for so many moments: breakfast time; an at-work or school-safe snack; a picnic, playground, or...
Barbeque sauce is a summer staple, but it's a hard one to get around if you're on the Keto diet since it's generally packed full...