Vegan baking sounds tricky – how do you make things delicious, bind well, and come out not being noticeably different? Where there’s a will, there’s a way…and us plant-based recipe lovers are determined folk. With the use of a little secret weapon called “Aquafaba” (the liquid in canned chickpeas) these macaroons hold perfectly, bake up sweetly (without sugar) and are perfect for those on a low-carb or Ketogenic diet as well! Double win!
You’ll be shocked at how well these turn out. They were eaten up quickly here by everyone (including vegan, low-carb dieters and otherwise). A true hit!
For the chocolate in this recipe, we were able to use sugar-free dark chocolate chips. If you’re unable to find these, simply use an 85-90% dark chocolate (be sure there is no dairy) as this type of dark chocolate should keep the carb count low!
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut, divided
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup erythritol or monk fruit sweetener
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (liquid in canned chickpeas)
- 1 tsp almond extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup dairy-free, sugar-free dark chocolate chips (or 90% dark)
- Sheet pan
- Parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place 1 cup of the unsweetened shredded coconut on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Spread out.
- Toast in the oven for 4-5 minutes, watching carefully to make sure it toasts to a golden brown and doesn't burn.
- Mix almond flour, toasted & untoasted shredded coconut, sweetener, aquafaba, almond extract and salt in a bowl and mix well.
- Scoop a tablespoon at a time and form ball shapes and place on your parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool before moving to the next step.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt your dark chocolate. Carefully pick up the macaroons one at a time, and dip into the chocolate before returning to the parchment lined baking sheet. Continue this until all the macaroons are dipped.
- Should you have any extra dark chocolate, simply drizzle the tops of each macaroon for an added touch.
- Refrigerate to let the chocolate set, then enjoy!