There’s been studies that show that cheese is as addictive as drugs. So, for those now aiming for a plant-based, vegan diet giving up cheese…well, that’s just a lot harder than giving up steaks. Now, here’s the good news – there is a way to make vegetables taste like cheese. Don’t believe it? Well, you’ll have to try for yourself. Best part is, it even looks like cheese. So you can easily sell this to your kids, and they’ll never know they’re actually getting a serving of vegetables, too. Huzzah!
To make this gluten-free, simply use gluten-free macaroni noodles, and substitute the flour for a GF flour, like we did!
- 1 box dry macaroni pasta (approx 340gr, or 3 1/2 cups) - use gluten free substitute if needed
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 half medium butternut squash - seeded, roasted & pureed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp flour - use gluten free substitute if needed
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Cooking Spray
- Sheet Pan
- Large Saucepan
- Food processor, or blender
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Begin to cook your pasta (set aside when finished).
- While the pasta is cooking, halve your butternut squash, spoon out and remove the seeds, and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place on a sheet pan, face down, and roast until the flesh is tender. Approx 35-40 minutes.
- Spoon out the cooked butternut squash from one half (save the other half for later, or puree it all and freeze the extra!).
- In a food processor or blender, puree the cooked squash. Set aside.
- Bring your large saucepan to a medium-low heat. Add the coconut oil until melted, then sprinkle in the flour. Whisk until it's combined.
- Immediately pour your coconut milk into the flour/oil blend and whisk. Let simmer and thicken, adding in the squash puree and your nutritional yeast, and seasonings. Continue to let cook and thicken further.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add your fully cooked (and strained) macaroni into the pot, and fold it into the sauce until well combined.
- Serve immediately!
Buying fresh produce can feel expensive especially if you're purchasing fruits or vegetables in their offseasons.
You've probably been hearing things about this new vegan burger everyone's going crazy for, the Beyond Meat burger.
Food Organization inside a lunch bag is one of those arts you must master as a parent.
Canada has spoken...and they LOVE the new Beyond Meat burger at A&W.
Smoothies are an awesome healthy addition to your daily diet and meal plan, especially for those on-the-go mornings.
As someone who now eats a mostly plant-based diet, I've found myself stumped on how to enjoy BBQ meals this summer.
I'm all about grilling in the summertime! In fact, we make most of our meals on the barbecue when the weather cooperates.
So disclaimer: I'll pretty much try anything that's new and plant-based at Starbucks.
I newly discovered oregano oil a little over a year ago from a friend who swore by and raved about its amazing super-power-like...
When I came across the Mediterranean diet it was completely new. I quickly learned, though, that it's quite a simple concept.
When I made the decision to adopt a plant-based diet I had many comments from friends saying things such as "I wish I could but...
A couple months ago many Vegan Americans sat in envy while Canadians had the release of the Beyond Meat burger at the fast food...