There’s been studies that show that cheese is as addictive as drugs. So, for those now aiming for a plant-based, vegan diet giving up cheese…well, that’s just a lot harder than giving up steaks. Now, here’s the good news – there is a way to make vegetables taste like cheese. Don’t believe it? Well, you’ll have to try for yourself. Best part is, it even looks like cheese. So you can easily sell this to your kids, and they’ll never know they’re actually getting a serving of vegetables, too. Huzzah!
To make this gluten-free, simply use gluten-free macaroni noodles, and substitute the flour for a GF flour, like we did!
- 1 box dry macaroni pasta (approx 340gr, or 3 1/2 cups) - use gluten free substitute if needed
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 half medium butternut squash - seeded, roasted & pureed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp flour - use gluten free substitute if needed
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Cooking Spray
- Sheet Pan
- Large Saucepan
- Food processor, or blender
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Begin to cook your pasta (set aside when finished).
- While the pasta is cooking, halve your butternut squash, spoon out and remove the seeds, and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place on a sheet pan, face down, and roast until the flesh is tender. Approx 35-40 minutes.
- Spoon out the cooked butternut squash from one half (save the other half for later, or puree it all and freeze the extra!).
- In a food processor or blender, puree the cooked squash. Set aside.
- Bring your large saucepan to a medium-low heat. Add the coconut oil until melted, then sprinkle in the flour. Whisk until it's combined.
- Immediately pour your coconut milk into the flour/oil blend and whisk. Let simmer and thicken, adding in the squash puree and your nutritional yeast, and seasonings. Continue to let cook and thicken further.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add your fully cooked (and strained) macaroni into the pot, and fold it into the sauce until well combined.
- Serve immediately!
When I first went vegan, there were a few foods I really struggled to let go of. Cheese-covered nachos were one of them.
My favorite thing about the holidays is time spent with family, however, my second favorite thing has to be the delicious food!
New Years Eve parties are a fantastic time to connect with your friends and family.
The best part of every party is undoubtedly the food. If you're not eating good food are you really having a good time?
Love it or hate it, Valentine's Day is around the corner. On this holiday, you get a chance to spend it with those you love or to...
Let's be honest, making dinner for a crowd of hungry kiddos can be challenging when you are tight on time, budget and your little...
Holidays such as Mardi Gras are fun because not only do you get to spend time with friends and family but you get to indulge in...
Shrove Tuesday is when pancakes are traditionally eaten, also known as Pancake Tuesday!
Every new year comes new diet trends and we're on a mission to discover what they are and help you understand why they're...
Do you load your short stack up with butter and syrup? Or do you prefer your flapjacks with jam and whipped cream?
A&W Canada is back at it again and is listening loud and clear to the needs and wants of their customers.
The thing about root vegetables is that they often take a lot of time to cook, especially in the oven.