There’s been studies that show that cheese is as addictive as drugs. So, for those now aiming for a plant-based, vegan diet giving up cheese…well, that’s just a lot harder than giving up steaks. Now, here’s the good news – there is a way to make vegetables taste like cheese. Don’t believe it? Well, you’ll have to try for yourself. Best part is, it even looks like cheese. So you can easily sell this to your kids, and they’ll never know they’re actually getting a serving of vegetables, too. Huzzah!
To make this gluten-free, simply use gluten-free macaroni noodles, and substitute the flour for a GF flour, like we did!
- 1 box dry macaroni pasta (approx 340gr, or 3 1/2 cups) - use gluten free substitute if needed
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 half medium butternut squash - seeded, roasted & pureed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp flour - use gluten free substitute if needed
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Cooking Spray
- Sheet Pan
- Large Saucepan
- Food processor, or blender
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Begin to cook your pasta (set aside when finished).
- While the pasta is cooking, halve your butternut squash, spoon out and remove the seeds, and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place on a sheet pan, face down, and roast until the flesh is tender. Approx 35-40 minutes.
- Spoon out the cooked butternut squash from one half (save the other half for later, or puree it all and freeze the extra!).
- In a food processor or blender, puree the cooked squash. Set aside.
- Bring your large saucepan to a medium-low heat. Add the coconut oil until melted, then sprinkle in the flour. Whisk until it's combined.
- Immediately pour your coconut milk into the flour/oil blend and whisk. Let simmer and thicken, adding in the squash puree and your nutritional yeast, and seasonings. Continue to let cook and thicken further.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add your fully cooked (and strained) macaroni into the pot, and fold it into the sauce until well combined.
- Serve immediately!
Halloween is an exciting holiday because it's a chance to go all out without judgment.
You've probably been seeing recipes for no-bake snack/energy bites online for a few years now. I know I have!
I love the holidays because it means time spent with those who are important to you.
Enjoy the fresh flavors of Mediterranean cooking that will have you dreaming of lounging next to the sea without having to fly...
Buckle up Canadian friends because the news we've all been waiting to hear is finally here!
It seems like everybody is sick this Spring. People are dropping like flies!
When the snack cravings hit we all know how easy it is to reach for the most accessible thing in sight.
Kids can be picky eaters and when it comes to the snacking department they often beg for the most unhealthy choices!
Have you ever gotten stuck falling, or diving head-first, down a rabbit hole of amazingly satisfying food videos on Facebook or...
Fish is full of healthy fats, making it the perfect well-rounded dinner.
Bloating happens when the stomach becomes swollen after eating and that feeling is never a fun experience.
Breakfast is often called the most important meal of the day. It can also be the most delicious meal of the day!