There’s been studies that show that cheese is as addictive as drugs. So, for those now aiming for a plant-based, vegan diet giving up cheese…well, that’s just a lot harder than giving up steaks. Now, here’s the good news – there is a way to make vegetables taste like cheese. Don’t believe it? Well, you’ll have to try for yourself. Best part is, it even looks like cheese. So you can easily sell this to your kids, and they’ll never know they’re actually getting a serving of vegetables, too. Huzzah!
To make this gluten-free, simply use gluten-free macaroni noodles, and substitute the flour for a GF flour, like we did!
- 1 box dry macaroni pasta (approx 340gr, or 3 1/2 cups) - use gluten free substitute if needed
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 half medium butternut squash - seeded, roasted & pureed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp flour - use gluten free substitute if needed
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Cooking Spray
- Sheet Pan
- Large Saucepan
- Food processor, or blender
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Begin to cook your pasta (set aside when finished).
- While the pasta is cooking, halve your butternut squash, spoon out and remove the seeds, and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place on a sheet pan, face down, and roast until the flesh is tender. Approx 35-40 minutes.
- Spoon out the cooked butternut squash from one half (save the other half for later, or puree it all and freeze the extra!).
- In a food processor or blender, puree the cooked squash. Set aside.
- Bring your large saucepan to a medium-low heat. Add the coconut oil until melted, then sprinkle in the flour. Whisk until it's combined.
- Immediately pour your coconut milk into the flour/oil blend and whisk. Let simmer and thicken, adding in the squash puree and your nutritional yeast, and seasonings. Continue to let cook and thicken further.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add your fully cooked (and strained) macaroni into the pot, and fold it into the sauce until well combined.
- Serve immediately!
Whole30 is an eating plan that can actually become a lifestyle depending on how you approach it.
Granola bars are perfect for so many moments: breakfast time; an at-work or school-safe snack; a picnic, playground, or...
Rice is a staple in most people’s homes, including mine! It’s filling and the perfect complement to so many dishes, from meat...
Here's the thing, we tend to put a lot of emphasis on what we shouldn't be eating but it's time the foods we really should be...
Beyond Meat is spreading like wildfire. More and more fast-food chains are hopping on the plant-based bandwagon.
Being comfortable in your body is essential to living a happy life.
Surely you've heard the word antioxidant thrown around time and time again.
The paleolithic diet, also known as the paleo diet, the caveman diet, or the stone-age diet is a meal plan that predominately...
Weight Watchers has reinvented itself over the years and because of that, it is becoming more popular now than ever.
There's no better way to wind down from a busy day than to catch up on your favorite shows with snacks in hand, amirite?
The vegan diet continues to gain popularity and not to mention lactose allergies are on the rise too.
Earlier this week Starbucks announced that they're officially offering 2 new non-dairy beverages nationwide.