There’s been studies that show that cheese is as addictive as drugs. So, for those now aiming for a plant-based, vegan diet giving up cheese…well, that’s just a lot harder than giving up steaks. Now, here’s the good news – there is a way to make vegetables taste like cheese. Don’t believe it? Well, you’ll have to try for yourself. Best part is, it even looks like cheese. So you can easily sell this to your kids, and they’ll never know they’re actually getting a serving of vegetables, too. Huzzah!
To make this gluten-free, simply use gluten-free macaroni noodles, and substitute the flour for a GF flour, like we did!
- 1 box dry macaroni pasta (approx 340gr, or 3 1/2 cups) - use gluten free substitute if needed
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 half medium butternut squash - seeded, roasted & pureed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp flour - use gluten free substitute if needed
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp tumeric
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Cooking Spray
- Sheet Pan
- Large Saucepan
- Food processor, or blender
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Begin to cook your pasta (set aside when finished).
- While the pasta is cooking, halve your butternut squash, spoon out and remove the seeds, and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place on a sheet pan, face down, and roast until the flesh is tender. Approx 35-40 minutes.
- Spoon out the cooked butternut squash from one half (save the other half for later, or puree it all and freeze the extra!).
- In a food processor or blender, puree the cooked squash. Set aside.
- Bring your large saucepan to a medium-low heat. Add the coconut oil until melted, then sprinkle in the flour. Whisk until it's combined.
- Immediately pour your coconut milk into the flour/oil blend and whisk. Let simmer and thicken, adding in the squash puree and your nutritional yeast, and seasonings. Continue to let cook and thicken further.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add your fully cooked (and strained) macaroni into the pot, and fold it into the sauce until well combined.
- Serve immediately!
I'm all about grilling in the summertime! In fact, we make most of our meals on the barbecue when the weather cooperates.
While I don't love all vegetables, I am definitely up for trying new things (at least once).
A&W Canada is back at it again and is listening loud and clear to the needs and wants of their customers.
When you follow a restrictive diet, the hardest part about any holiday can be the food options.
How many times have you pulled out your butternut squash just before supper and realized you don't have enough time to cook it...
Bone broth is all the rage nowadays with health professionals proclaiming the benefits and people (and companies looking to...
You've probably been seeing recipes for no-bake snack/energy bites online for a few years now. I know I have!
I love the holidays because it means time spent with those who are important to you.
Some would consider quinoa a superfood, and for good reason! It's chock full of vitamins and minerals and is an excellent source...
Enjoy the fresh flavors of Mediterranean cooking that will have you dreaming of lounging next to the sea without having to fly...
It seems like everybody is sick this Spring. People are dropping like flies!
Summer is one of the most sought-after seasons of the year. If you experience cold winter months then you surely appreciate those...