Several years ago in my early efforts to change my eating habits, I had a renewed mind to be more health-driven rather than just eating what I always knew. With this, I was faced with the challenge to find new ways to enjoy the foods and flavors that I already loved.
Tacos are kind of a soft spot for me. I will never say “no” to tacos. I could never get tired of them. We’ve built a long-term love affair, and I’m no quitter (not on tacos!). However, I was trying to eat cleaner, cheaper, healthier protein sources and along the way fell in love with chickpeas. Cooking them like I would taco meat, seemed like a natural fit. They turned out way better than I had imagined and when served up in lettuce boats, well…just allowed me to eat that much more of them. This is also a great recipe for those transitioning into or living a plant-based vegan lifestyle. Completely free off all the common allergens as well (nuts, dairy, soy, gluten, meat), it’s an indulgence that’s actually good for you. That, and it’s tacos…so….yay…TACOS! (your fists better be pumping the sky right now, btw).
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- Romaine lettuce (to make lettuce boats), or alternatively corn tortillas
- Taco toppings (Salsa, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, canned chilis, and hot sauce - are all vegan options)
- Mixing bowl
- Non-stick pan
- Mix together all your spices to create your perfect taco seasoning. Set aside.
- Next, drain and rinse your chickpeas in a strainer. Pick out any shells that come loose from the chickpeas.
- Add the chick peas to your non-stick pan, and set the heat to medium high. Sprinkle in the taco seasoning, and toss until the chickpeas are coated.
- Add your water to the pan, and keep cooking until the chickpeas become slightly crispy, warm throughout, and the water has evaporated.
- Remove from heat, and spoon into your lettuce boats (or taco shells). Top with toppings of choice, and enjoy immediately!
Whole30 is an eating plan that can actually become a lifestyle depending on how you approach it.
Granola bars are perfect for so many moments: breakfast time; an at-work or school-safe snack; a picnic, playground, or...
Rice is a staple in most people’s homes, including mine! It’s filling and the perfect complement to so many dishes, from meat...
Here's the thing, we tend to put a lot of emphasis on what we shouldn't be eating but it's time the foods we really should be...
Beyond Meat is spreading like wildfire. More and more fast-food chains are hopping on the plant-based bandwagon.
Being comfortable in your body is essential to living a happy life.
Surely you've heard the word antioxidant thrown around time and time again.
The paleolithic diet, also known as the paleo diet, the caveman diet, or the stone-age diet is a meal plan that predominately...
Weight Watchers has reinvented itself over the years and because of that, it is becoming more popular now than ever.
There's no better way to wind down from a busy day than to catch up on your favorite shows with snacks in hand, amirite?
The vegan diet continues to gain popularity and not to mention lactose allergies are on the rise too.
Earlier this week Starbucks announced that they're officially offering 2 new non-dairy beverages nationwide.