Several years ago in my early efforts to change my eating habits, I had a renewed mind to be more health-driven rather than just eating what I always knew. With this, I was faced with the challenge to find new ways to enjoy the foods and flavors that I already loved.
Tacos are kind of a soft spot for me. I will never say “no” to tacos. I could never get tired of them. We’ve built a long-term love affair, and I’m no quitter (not on tacos!). However, I was trying to eat cleaner, cheaper, healthier protein sources and along the way fell in love with chickpeas. Cooking them like I would taco meat, seemed like a natural fit. They turned out way better than I had imagined and when served up in lettuce boats, well…just allowed me to eat that much more of them. This is also a great recipe for those transitioning into or living a plant-based vegan lifestyle. Completely free off all the common allergens as well (nuts, dairy, soy, gluten, meat), it’s an indulgence that’s actually good for you. That, and it’s tacos…so….yay…TACOS! (your fists better be pumping the sky right now, btw).
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup water
- Romaine lettuce (to make lettuce boats), or alternatively corn tortillas
- Taco toppings (Salsa, avocado, cilantro, lime juice, canned chilis, and hot sauce - are all vegan options)
- Mixing bowl
- Non-stick pan
- Mix together all your spices to create your perfect taco seasoning. Set aside.
- Next, drain and rinse your chickpeas in a strainer. Pick out any shells that come loose from the chickpeas.
- Add the chick peas to your non-stick pan, and set the heat to medium high. Sprinkle in the taco seasoning, and toss until the chickpeas are coated.
- Add your water to the pan, and keep cooking until the chickpeas become slightly crispy, warm throughout, and the water has evaporated.
- Remove from heat, and spoon into your lettuce boats (or taco shells). Top with toppings of choice, and enjoy immediately!
A couple months ago many Vegan Americans sat in envy while Canadians had the release of the Beyond Meat burger at the fast food...
While experimenting with the Instant Pot I quickly discovered that it can not only cook a quick and easy weeknight meal but it can...
You've probably been seeing recipes for no-bake snack/energy bites online for a few years now. I know I have!
Some would consider quinoa a superfood, and for good reason! It's chock full of vitamins and minerals and is an excellent source...
Enjoy the fresh flavors of Mediterranean cooking that will have you dreaming of lounging next to the sea without having to fly...
Buckle up Canadian friends because the news we've all been waiting to hear is finally here!
Summer is one of the most sought-after seasons of the year. If you experience cold winter months then you surely appreciate those...
When the snack cravings hit we all know how easy it is to reach for the most accessible thing in sight.
Kids can be picky eaters and when it comes to the snacking department they often beg for the most unhealthy choices!
Have you ever gotten stuck falling, or diving head-first, down a rabbit hole of amazingly satisfying food videos on Facebook or...
Poached eggs are a delicious addition to your breakfast and a great way to add protein without all the extra oil of a fried egg.
Bloating happens when the stomach becomes swollen after eating and that feeling is never a fun experience.