For starters, we are not trying to claim that this recipe somehow mimics a hard shell crunchy meat taco with all the fillings. That would be crazy. What we are claiming, is that this recipe is a healthy veggie-based lunch or dinner option that’s it’s own completely other level of taco.
With simple and clean ingredients, you can make these filling and nutrient rich stuffed tacos made right in the skin of a sweet potato. Which, yes, by the way…you can totally eat.
I’m personally a huge fan of Mexican food, and like to make healthy versions of it often to indulge my cravings. So I was surprised at how easy this recipe was, with so little steps to accomplish it. It took about 15 minutes beginning to end for two (very filling) servings! How often does that happen?
If you’ve given up grains and you’re looking for a way to indulge in your Mexican food cravings, then THIS is exactly the recipe you need!
Vegan or plant-based? You better believe this is completely free of animal byproducts and ready for you to devour!
Love all the foods? Yeah, you’ll like this one too (did I mention it only takes 15 minutes?!?!).
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- Tomatoes, lettuce, avocado, hot sauce, dairy-free sour cream, salsa and other toppings of choice
- Wash your sweet potatoes, and gently pierce all over with a fork.
- Wrap them individually in a damp paper towel and microwave until cooked through (about 4-5 minutes each)
- Carefully remove from the microwave, and unwrap from paper towel.
- Cut the top 1/3 of the sweet potato off with a sharp knife, and scoop out the insides of the sweet potatoes leaving the shells in tact. Put the potato flesh straight into your stovetop skillet.
- Combine your sweet potato flesh, black beans, cumin, chili powder and lime juice in your stovetop skillet and cook over a medium-high heat until warmed throughout (about 5 minutes).
- Carefully scoop the potato/bean mixture into your sweet potato skins.
- Top with desired toppings, and serve!
The Whole30 Diet has been raved about for several years now, beginning in 2009 and creating a large bandwagon following.
Being paleo means no grains, being vegan means no animal by-products. Well, frig.
If you're looking for something tasty but healthy, while being easy to make and serve - this one's for you.
Packing a lunch can be such a hassle when you don't have time. You throw a bunch of random foods into your bag as you run out the...
Not long ago we ventured into swapping cauliflower for rice while trying out the oh-so-popular ketogenic diet (read more about it...
One-pan dinners are the weeknight's bread and butter of success. They are easy, time saving, dish saving, sanity saving.
After trying the plant-based diet, my biggest struggle was being able to feed those in my home that are still meat loving humans.
When I first made these muffins, I went in feeling like there was NO way they'd turn out.
Nutritional Yeast is this odd flake-like substance that you hear about and see in recipes a lot (especially dairy free & vegan...
If you've ever been on a low-carb diet you know real fast that breakfast especially can be a challenge.
Step out of the box and try something new like cooking with cauliflower.
Many of us live busy lives whether you're a parent and or are living a busy work life.