We get it, carbs are the “bad guys”. Giving them up is HARD. Especially when you sacrifice your favorite foods, like sushi! Rice is obviously a staple in most sushi, and rice is also very high in carbohydrates. Blarg. What to do…what to do…
Well, we figured it out. Since we’ve loved subbing cauliflower in so many other places, like in our Cauliflower Fried Rice, we were challenged to do it once again!
Cauliflower sushi surprisingly binds and holds together. Now, we are no sushi rolling pros, but these actually rolled for us! Cut, chop stick picked up, dipped and eaten. All the sushi tests…they passed!
If you’re looking to indulge in your favorite sushi rolls try making these low-carb (ketogenic friendly) rolls to crush those cravings without compromising on any taste.
Trust us. ?
- 1 Seaweed Paper Sheet (nori wrapper)
- 1 cucumber (small, or half a large), cut into 2 inch strips
- 1/4 medium avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup block cream cheese, cut into strips (*can use vegan alternative cream cheese!)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- Soy sauce, for dipping
- Black sesame seeds, for garnish
- Food Processor
- Medium Stovetop Pot or Skillet
- Sushi roller (bamboo placemat will also work for this!)
- Place your cauliflower heads into a food processor, and pulse until you've made rice sized bits.
- In a medium stovetop pot or skillet, heat your coconut oil and add in your cauliflower "rice". Cook this for about 4-5 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked through. Set aside.
- On a sushi roller, place you seaweed wrap sheet, and spoon out some cauliflower rice, spreading evenly in a 1/2 inch thick layer. Leave about 1/2 inch edge on all sides of your seaweed paper. Next, place your cucumber sticks, avocado and cream cheese lengthwise across the roll.
- Carefully lift and tuck the roll onto itself, ensuring all the contents stay in as you continue rolling. Apply some pressure to keep it binding as you go.
- Cut into 6 pieces, and enjoy! Garnish with black sesame seeds, wasabi and soy sauce for enjoying.
When it comes to preparing for a big date or event, we have so much to think about.
We get it, you invest in kitchen tools and want to make them last forever.
For those who have to deal with an anxiety disorder, they often have the constant feeling of uneasiness, worry and fear.
Meghan Markle has captured everyone's attention but not just because of her acting career, because of her new relationship and now...
When I first decided that I was up for the challenge of giving up coffee for a week, I had visions of myself by the end of it,...
By now we’re all well aware that plastic pollution is a real problem, and it’s not only impacting our oceans, but also the...
Containers are crucial for transporting food and liquids while we live our busy lives.
So disclaimer: I'll pretty much try anything that's new and plant-based at Starbucks.
This week was a taste of my own medicine, so to speak. Among my group of friends, it has become a running a joke that at a...
Do you remember the Canada's Food Guide rainbow that you would learn about in health class as a student? Who could forget it?
Summer is one of the most sought-after seasons of the year. If you experience cold winter months then you surely appreciate those...
Bloating happens when the stomach becomes swollen after eating and that feeling is never a fun experience.