We get it, carbs are the “bad guys”. Giving them up is HARD. Especially when you sacrifice your favorite foods, like sushi! Rice is obviously a staple in most sushi, and rice is also very high in carbohydrates. Blarg. What to do…what to do…
Well, we figured it out. Since we’ve loved subbing cauliflower in so many other places, like in our Cauliflower Fried Rice, we were challenged to do it once again!
Cauliflower sushi surprisingly binds and holds together. Now, we are no sushi rolling pros, but these actually rolled for us! Cut, chop stick picked up, dipped and eaten. All the sushi tests…they passed!
If you’re looking to indulge in your favorite sushi rolls try making these low-carb (ketogenic friendly) rolls to crush those cravings without compromising on any taste.
Trust us. 🍣
- 1 Seaweed Paper Sheet (nori wrapper)
- 1 cucumber (small, or half a large), cut into 2 inch strips
- 1/4 medium avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup block cream cheese, cut into strips (*can use vegan alternative cream cheese!)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- Soy sauce, for dipping
- Black sesame seeds, for garnish
- Food Processor
- Medium Stovetop Pot or Skillet
- Sushi roller (bamboo placemat will also work for this!)
- Place your cauliflower heads into a food processor, and pulse until you've made rice sized bits.
- In a medium stovetop pot or skillet, heat your coconut oil and add in your cauliflower "rice". Cook this for about 4-5 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked through. Set aside.
- On a sushi roller, place you seaweed wrap sheet, and spoon out some cauliflower rice, spreading evenly in a 1/2 inch thick layer. Leave about 1/2 inch edge on all sides of your seaweed paper. Next, place your cucumber sticks, avocado and cream cheese lengthwise across the roll.
- Carefully lift and tuck the roll onto itself, ensuring all the contents stay in as you continue rolling. Apply some pressure to keep it binding as you go.
- Cut into 6 pieces, and enjoy! Garnish with black sesame seeds, wasabi and soy sauce for enjoying.
If you've ever been on a low-carb diet you know real fast that breakfast especially can be a challenge.
Game changer recipes are my absolute favorite. One simple concept, that absolutely changes the way you cook forevermore.
One-pan dinners are the weeknight's bread and butter of success. They are easy, time saving, dish saving, sanity saving.
It's no surprise that chicken breast is such a popular dinner choice for so many families.
So you're on a low-carb diet, and the first thing you're struggling with is breakfast.
Growing up I watched my mother hand-make cabbage rolls from scratch.
Loving your life on the Keto diet, but desperately missing the sweet life?
If there's one clear message about the Ketogenic diet, it's that you need to avoid carbs...big time.
Baking with all-purpose flour is one of the easiest and accessible types of flours to purchase.
When on a Ketogenic diet (aka: Keto) you will learn real fast, that eggs are your new best friend.
Who can resist a warm, rich, chocolatey brownie? Not me! But if you're committed to the Ketogenic diet then you likely have to...
Trying out the Keto diet? Finding ways to eat enough fat to keep your diet sustainable can be difficult without consuming some...