We get it, carbs are the “bad guys”. Giving them up is HARD. Especially when you sacrifice your favorite foods, like sushi! Rice is obviously a staple in most sushi, and rice is also very high in carbohydrates. Blarg. What to do…what to do…
Well, we figured it out. Since we’ve loved subbing cauliflower in so many other places, like in our Cauliflower Fried Rice, we were challenged to do it once again!
Cauliflower sushi surprisingly binds and holds together. Now, we are no sushi rolling pros, but these actually rolled for us! Cut, chop stick picked up, dipped and eaten. All the sushi tests…they passed!
If you’re looking to indulge in your favorite sushi rolls try making these low-carb (ketogenic friendly) rolls to crush those cravings without compromising on any taste.
Trust us. ?
- 1 Seaweed Paper Sheet (nori wrapper)
- 1 cucumber (small, or half a large), cut into 2 inch strips
- 1/4 medium avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup block cream cheese, cut into strips (*can use vegan alternative cream cheese!)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- Soy sauce, for dipping
- Black sesame seeds, for garnish
- Food Processor
- Medium Stovetop Pot or Skillet
- Sushi roller (bamboo placemat will also work for this!)
- Place your cauliflower heads into a food processor, and pulse until you've made rice sized bits.
- In a medium stovetop pot or skillet, heat your coconut oil and add in your cauliflower "rice". Cook this for about 4-5 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked through. Set aside.
- On a sushi roller, place you seaweed wrap sheet, and spoon out some cauliflower rice, spreading evenly in a 1/2 inch thick layer. Leave about 1/2 inch edge on all sides of your seaweed paper. Next, place your cucumber sticks, avocado and cream cheese lengthwise across the roll.
- Carefully lift and tuck the roll onto itself, ensuring all the contents stay in as you continue rolling. Apply some pressure to keep it binding as you go.
- Cut into 6 pieces, and enjoy! Garnish with black sesame seeds, wasabi and soy sauce for enjoying.
I'm all about grilling in the summertime! In fact, we make most of our meals on the barbecue when the weather cooperates.
Is anybody else obsessed with Heluva Good Dip? I'm seriously addicted.
Following a new diet can be both exciting and daunting and following through with that diet is never easy!
Diets can be so hard to follow especially when strong cravings hit.
Barbeque sauce is a summer staple, but it's a hard one to get around if you're on the Keto diet since it's generally packed full...
Snacks are sneaky foods that can derail our diets, especially when following the keto diet.
Coleslaw might be on the most beloved summer salads in North America. Why you ask? I have no idea.
Chicken wings are a favorite meal for many, whether you're eating out at a restaurant or sitting around the dinner table with your...
Fat bombs are an essential part of the Keto diet, allowing you to intake a large amount of healthy fats in just a couple of bites.
These little Cobb Salads on a Stick are all the deliciousness of a loaded cobb salad without the mess or need to sit down to enjoy...
Starting a new diet can be daunting and difficult and staying committed to that diet can be even harder.
In short, the goal of the keto diet is to fuel your body with the right foods so that your body can enter a metabolic state called...