We get it, carbs are the “bad guys”. Giving them up is HARD. Especially when you sacrifice your favorite foods, like sushi! Rice is obviously a staple in most sushi, and rice is also very high in carbohydrates. Blarg. What to do…what to do…
Well, we figured it out. Since we’ve loved subbing cauliflower in so many other places, like in our Cauliflower Fried Rice, we were challenged to do it once again!
Cauliflower sushi surprisingly binds and holds together. Now, we are no sushi rolling pros, but these actually rolled for us! Cut, chop stick picked up, dipped and eaten. All the sushi tests…they passed!
If you’re looking to indulge in your favorite sushi rolls try making these low-carb (ketogenic friendly) rolls to crush those cravings without compromising on any taste.
Trust us. ?
- 1 Seaweed Paper Sheet (nori wrapper)
- 1 cucumber (small, or half a large), cut into 2 inch strips
- 1/4 medium avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup block cream cheese, cut into strips (*can use vegan alternative cream cheese!)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped cauliflower
- Soy sauce, for dipping
- Black sesame seeds, for garnish
- Food Processor
- Medium Stovetop Pot or Skillet
- Sushi roller (bamboo placemat will also work for this!)
- Place your cauliflower heads into a food processor, and pulse until you've made rice sized bits.
- In a medium stovetop pot or skillet, heat your coconut oil and add in your cauliflower "rice". Cook this for about 4-5 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked through. Set aside.
- On a sushi roller, place you seaweed wrap sheet, and spoon out some cauliflower rice, spreading evenly in a 1/2 inch thick layer. Leave about 1/2 inch edge on all sides of your seaweed paper. Next, place your cucumber sticks, avocado and cream cheese lengthwise across the roll.
- Carefully lift and tuck the roll onto itself, ensuring all the contents stay in as you continue rolling. Apply some pressure to keep it binding as you go.
- Cut into 6 pieces, and enjoy! Garnish with black sesame seeds, wasabi and soy sauce for enjoying.
If you live by the motto "bacon makes everything better!" then you'll be happy to know bacon is great and commonly found in...
Has anyone else been seeing versions of Big Mac Sauce popping up at the grocery store? I sure have.
Egg rolls are delicious, let's be honest. But they're crazy unhealthy because they're usually deep fried in those little wrappers!
These Big Mac Bites are absolutely drool-worthy and the Copycat Big Mac Sauce is spot on - you wouldn't even know it didn't come...
Bailey's Irish Cream anyone? So delicious. But also packed with sugar, which is a definite no-no when you're on the Keto diet.
Bulletproof coffee is huge in the Keto Diet community, but it actually has benefits for everyone regardless of whether you're on a...
What is your biggest challenge when you start a new diet? For me, it's sugar. Forget the deep fried food - I can skip that.
Is anybody else obsessed with Heluva Good Dip? I'm seriously addicted.
Following a new diet can be both exciting and daunting and following through with that diet is never easy!
Summer is in full swing and what better way to celebrate the warm weather than to dig into delicious food!
Barbeque sauce is a summer staple, but it's a hard one to get around if you're on the Keto diet since it's generally packed full...
Snacks are sneaky foods that can derail our diets, especially when following the keto diet.