It’s been in the news a lot lately that almond beverages may not be as “clean eating” and healthy as we once thought. Ridden with preservatives and additives…it can leave you lost for what to buy, who to trust, and question everything you ever knew (okay, maybe not, but you get my point here). Surprisingly enough, making it yourself isn’t as difficult as it seems. It’s an incredibly simple process with few ingredients, and easily customizable to your own almond-drinking preferences! Give this a try, and you’ll have a new skill you can use for years to come.
- 1 cup of raw almonds (skins on is fine!)
- 4-6 cups water
- 1 tsp vanilla *optional, for taste
- 2 dates *optional, for sweetness
- Mason jar (for storing)
- In a heat safe container or bowl, pour boiling water over 1 cup of almonds, just enough to cover them, and let them soak for two hours. Alternatively, you can soak them in room temperature water overnight.
- One the almonds have soaked and softened, strain them out of the water they're in, and transfer the soaked almonds to a blender.
- Add 4-6 cups of water to the blender (how much you add depends on personal preference, as 4 cups makes more of a creamy texture, 5 cups makes a regular milk texture, and 6 cups more of a skim milk texture).
- Next, optionally add vanilla and two dates to the blender for added taste and sweetness (leave out if you want plain almond milk).
- Blend on high for 2 minutes.
- Using a cheesecloth draped over a bowl, pour the almond mixture into the bowl, slowly. Then gather the sides of the cheesecloth, and begin to squeeze/strain out the rest of the almond milk into the bowl. This will remove all bits of nuts and skins you won't want in your milk.
- Store in a mason jar in the fridge, for 3-5 days.
- ENJOY! Use this DIY Almond milk in coffees, over cereals, in smoothies, and so much more.
There's just something about the refreshing taste of a pickle. Often served as an appetizer or a lunch side, they're most likely...
Vegan baking sounds tricky - how do you make things delicious, bind well, and come out not being noticeably different?
Introducing oat milk! The newest (and in my opinion, the best) addition to the world of non-dairy milk.
Have you heard of the latest diet craze, the intermittent fasting diet?
Following a Vegan diet encourages you to be more adventurous in the food department.
Eating food is how we fuel our bodies with enough energy to get through our everyday tasks.
Turmeric is known for its vibrant canary yellow color and vibrant flavor that has been complimenting curry dishes for ages.
A while back we dove into the world of dessert hummus with a chocolate version that reminded us of brownie batter.
Preparing meals after work can be exhausting, especially when you have a table full of different taste buds.
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is vital to help you lose or maintain weight as well as a very important part in maintaining...
Avocados are considered a nutrient dense fruit, yes a fruit! You may be tempted to call avocados a vegetable because of their dark...
We all experience it - the need for a boost in energy. Coffee definitely comes in hand, but what if there's a way to incorporate...