When it comes to making mashed potatoes, one word may enter your mind…”tedious”. It’s no wonder between the peeling, chopping, boiling, mashing, it can feel like it’s taking forever and has to be constantly watched over to make it a success. Not to mention, this is only your SIDE DISH, so who knows what you’ve got going on for your main!
When you’re making mashed for a crowd, be prepared to add on some major labor time to achieve the perfect mashed potatoes. Or, you can do what we did – and break out the Instant Pot.
Want New Instant Pot Recipes and Content Delivered Straight To Your Inbox? Sign up for our Instant Pot Email Newsletter!
The Instant Pot (pressure cooker) has been making its way into everyone’s kitchen with thunderous applause. Why? Well, it’s freaking awesome, that’s why. In detail, it can cook your food in record time. When it comes to mashed potatoes, you can make these faster than it would take to boil water for instant mashed!
Don’t have an Instant Pot yet?
With this recipe, you get out of any peeling and boiling – the two LONGEST steps in making mashed potatoes. If you’re worried about sacrificing flavor, don’t. In fact, these might even be MORE flavorful than the traditionally made variety.
Need mashed potatoes, fast? This recipe is everything you’ve dreamed of.
- 2.5lbs red-skinned potatoes (approx 7-9 medium potatoes)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 cup broth (we used vegetable)
- 1 cup milk of choice, divided in two (we used unsweetened almond milk)
- 3 tbsp butter of choice (vegan or regular)
- Pepper, to taste
- Dried or fresh chives for garnish.
- Instant Pot (pressure cooker)
- Potato Masher
- First, wash your potatoes, remove any imperfections, and simply chop your potatoes into cubes. When using red-skinned potatoes, peeling is optional.
- Toss your chopped potatoes into your Instant Pot, along with garlic, salt, broth and 1/2 cup of milk of choice (can use a nut milk for vegan option, or a skim milk for a light option, or half and half cream for a creamier texture).
- Put the lid on your pressure cooker, and make sure it's set to "seal". Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes (keep in mind the Instant Pot will take a few minutes to get up to pressure before starting the timer, so this should take about 15 minutes total). Once the timer goes off, switch the vent to "venting" and let all the steam out.
- Remove lid, and check your potatoes for doneness. If they're not quite mashable yet, put the lid back on and let sit for a few more minutes.
- When ready, strain the potatoes, and place them back into the Instant Pot. Add in your melted butter option, and the other 1/2 cup of milk.
- Mash, then scoop out into a serving dish, and garnish with chives! Serve immediately.
Looking for more Instant-Pot inspiration?
Find plenty of it, right HERE.
Forkly.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Forkly.com
Jambalaya is a family favorite to many, regardless of whether or not you have roots in New Orleans!
If there's one type of food we can all get on board with, it's Mexican food!
Buckle up, friends. This recipe is over the top, reach for a third one, I can't believe I made these at home delicious.
There is no comfort food quite like lasagna and I'm not talking about the frozen version picked up from the grocery store when...
What's better than breakfast? Brunch! Combining lunch and breakfast is such a brilliant idea and allows us to feast on an array...
How many times have you pulled out your butternut squash just before supper and realized you don't have enough time to cook it...
Bone broth is all the rage nowadays with health professionals proclaiming the benefits and people (and companies looking to...
While experimenting with the Instant Pot I quickly discovered that it can not only cook a quick and easy weeknight meal but it can...
Taco Tuesday is one of my favorite nights of the week! It turns dinner time into a fiesta and it's something exciting for...
If you're like me, odds are you've jumped onto the Instant Pot bandwagon!
Do you love drool-worthy casseroles? Then get ready for a true treat!
Some would consider quinoa a superfood, and for good reason! It's chock full of vitamins and minerals and is an excellent source...