When it comes to making mashed potatoes, one word may enter your mind…”tedious”. It’s no wonder between the peeling, chopping, boiling, mashing, it can feel like it’s taking forever and has to be constantly watched over to make it a success. Not to mention, this is only your SIDE DISH, so who knows what you’ve got going on for your main!
When you’re making mashed for a crowd, be prepared to add on some major labor time to achieve the perfect mashed potatoes. Or, you can do what we did – and break out the Instant Pot.
The Instant Pot (pressure cooker) has been making its way into everyone’s kitchen with thunderous applause. Why? Well, it’s freaking awesome, that’s why. In detail, it can cook your food in record time. When it comes to mashed potatoes, you can make these faster than it would take to boil water for instant mashed!
Don’t have an Instant Pot yet?
With this recipe, you get out of any peeling and boiling – the two LONGEST steps in making mashed potatoes. If you’re worried about sacrificing flavor, don’t. In fact, these might even be MORE flavorful than the traditionally made variety.
Need mashed potatoes, fast? This recipe is everything you’ve dreamed of.
- 2.5lbs red-skinned potatoes (approx 7-9 medium potatoes)
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp salt, more to taste
- 1 cup broth (we used vegetable)
- 1 cup milk of choice, divided in two (we used unsweetened almond milk)
- 3 tbsp butter of choice (vegan or regular)
- Pepper, to taste
- Dried or fresh chives for garnish.
- Instant Pot (pressure cooker)
- Potato Masher
- First, wash your potatoes, remove any imperfections, and simply chop your potatoes into cubes. When using red-skinned potatoes, peeling is optional.
- Toss your chopped potatoes into your Instant Pot, along with garlic, salt, broth and 1/2 cup of milk of choice (can use a nut milk for vegan option, or a skim milk for a light option, or half and half cream for a creamier texture).
- Put the lid on your pressure cooker, and make sure it's set to "seal". Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes (keep in mind the Instant Pot will take a few minutes to get up to pressure before starting the timer, so this should take about 15 minutes total). Once the timer goes off, switch the vent to "venting" and let all the steam out.
- Remove lid, and check your potatoes for doneness. If they're not quite mashable yet, put the lid back on and let sit for a few more minutes.
- When ready, strain the potatoes, and place them back into the Instant Pot. Add in your melted butter option, and the other 1/2 cup of milk.
- Mash, then scoop out into a serving dish, and garnish with chives! Serve immediately.
Looking for more Instant-Pot inspiration?
Find plenty of it, right HERE.
Forkly.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Forkly.com
There are copious amounts of recipes for the Instant Pot that are swimming around the internet these days.
Whether you own an Instant Pot or you're researching while looking to buy one, there's so much about them that you may not know!
When the Instant Pot first arrived into your home, you likely did what most of us did...
Quick and easy dinners are often a goal for so many, but that doesn't always mean it's healthy, too.
With the growing popularity of the Instant Pot, more and more creative recipes are arising - but it's not just for meal planning,...
Did you hear about the Instant Pot over the holidays? Of course, you did.
Do you know what FOMO is? Fear of missing out. I've been experiencing it ever since everyone under the sun got an Instant Pot for...
Growing up I watched my mother hand-make cabbage rolls from scratch.
The Super Bowl is quickly approaching which means fantastic food, a lot of screaming at the television, the halftime show and of...
There's nothing quite like a bowl of chili on a cold, dreary day. It warms you up from the inside out and you can batch cook it,...
Hard boiling eggs, as simple as they seem, tend to be something you figure out and then you never mess with.
An Indian inspired chana masala that will warm you to the bones and allow you to cook the entire dish all in the Instant Pot.