Not long ago we ventured into swapping cauliflower for rice while trying out the oh-so-popular ketogenic diet (read more about it here). Much to everyone’s surprise…it was an easy and flavorful swap that didn’t sacrifice for much except for carbs and calories. Hello, winning!
After making Cauliflower Fried Rice, we wanted a Mexican version we could enjoy. The results were fantastic, and we’re happy to be sharing the recipe today with you!
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, finely chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Garnish with cilantro & avocado
- Non-stick pan
- Food processor (or large grater if hand grating the cauliflower)
- In a food processor, add in your cauliflower florets and pulse until they reach a rice-like size and consistency. Do not over-process as they will get mushy! If you don't own a food processor, hand grating (while it does take longer) will work as well.
- In your non-stick cooking pan, heat up a tbsp of olive oil on a med-high heat. Add in onions, garlic & jalapenos, and stir fry until the onions become translucent (a few minutes).
- Add in your tomatoes, cumin, paprika, chili powder and salt into the pan. Cook for an additional few minutes. Add in the diced peppers and cauliflower rice next, and continue to stir fry for 3-4 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro, and avocado (optional), and serve!