If you’re in the mood for some good old fashioned comfort food, you’ve come to the right place because this cauliflower cheese bake hits all the right notes; ooey -check, gooey -check, cheesy -check. In fact, there’s a LOT of cheese in this recipe, so if you have some dairy-free friends, this wouldn’t be the night to invite them around. Cauliflower cheese has been a classic British comfort food for decades so it’s high time that North America gets a taste of this creamy comfort sensation.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into medium-small florets
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ¼ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated gruyere cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cups fresh (untoasted) bread crumbs
- Large saucepan
- Medium saucepan
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Large ovenproof baking dish (greased)
- Preheat oven to 400℉
- Steam or parboil cauliflower florets until tender but still firm. (about 10 minutes for steaming or 6-7 minutes for boiling) Drain cauliflower and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over high heat, add flour and whisk to combine, cook for one minute more and then add mustard powder, nutmeg, cayenne salt and stir.
- Slowly add the milk in a steady drizzle, while continuing to whisk so that no lumps form. Add salt and pepper to taste and bring mixture to a simmer so that it thickens.
- Stir in 1 cup grated cheddar and ¼ cup grated gruyere cheeses and stir until melted and combined.
- Spread cauliflower florets in the greased baking dish and pour cheese sauce over in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the top with remaining cheddar, parmesan cheese and fresh bread crumbs and place in the oven.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden bronzed.
- Serve to the hungry mob that by this point, will be gathered in the kitchen with anticipation.
Cauliflower "rice" is one of the best things that's ever happened in my diet.
Be still my beating Italian heart... just kidding, I'm not Italian and you don't have to be either to enjoy this hearty...
Blue Diamond Growers is entering 2020 with a brand new product, Blue Diamond Almond Protein Powder made from 100% pure almond...
Jackfruit is going to be something you'll hear more and more about this year.
Adopting a plant based lifestyle does not mean you sacrifice on flavor and big hearty meals.
So either you or a someone at your holiday dinner is gluten-intolerant or celiac, and/or perhaps vegan or working towards a...
You go to the market and see these big beautiful greens and decide to buy some, with eyes bigger than your refrigerator.
Portobello mushrooms are taking center stage in many restaurants and home chef's entrees.
Pesto has to be one of the BEST weeknight dinner go-to’s when you need something fast, fresh and delicious.
Chips and dip are such an easy go-to snack for entertaining or just preparing a quick and easy snack to munch on.
Not all jerky has to come from something that walks on four legs… vegetable jerky is an awesome idea for vegans and...