It’s that time of year…the leaves are (almost) gone, the air is crisp and I’m finding myself craving all things warm and comforting. That means soups, stews and of course all the hot beverages I can get my hands on. Tea and lattes are fine and all, but sometimes it’s nice to indulge in something a little… stronger. If you’re looking for a warming, comforting adult beverage to make this chilly season, give this slow cooker spiked cider a try and watch all your friends turn up at your doorstep just because they “were in the neighborhood”.
- 4 liters of apple cider or cloudy apple juice
- 1 orange
- A 1-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- 5 star anise pods
- 5 whole cardamom pods
- 1 1/2 cups bourbon, brandy, or dark rum
- Cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Slow cooker
- Cheesecloth or coffee filters
- Cutting board
- Kitchen twine
- Pour the cider or apple juice into a 5-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cut the orange into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and cut the ginger into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add both to the slow cooker.
- Place the cloves, star anise pods and cardamom in a double layer of cheesecloth or coffee filter, gather it up into a bundle, and tie closed with kitchen twine. Add to the slow cooker along with the cinnamon sticks.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for about 4 hours on low. Add the bourbon, brandy, or rum and stir to combine. Let sit on warm for 10 minutes for the flavors to meld. Keep warm and serve in glasses garnished with a cinnamon stick.
Potlucks are a year-round thing. Family gatherings, office luncheons, community events and of course - the holiday season.
Slow cookers, or crockpots, are a great time saving appliance. They work though electrical heating and cook over a number of...
We all know that the best part of apple crisp is that crunchy buttery rich topping that blankets those softened cinnamon...
A healthy Cajun, dump-in-the-slow-cooker dinner is the exactly what you need to fit a whole hearty dinner into your already pretty...
When it comes to an easy dinner, two words come to mind - CROCKPOT and LEFTOVERS (shame on you if you thought I was going to say...
Like the newly popular kitchen gadget, the Instant Pot, the slow cooker still makes the top favorite kitchen gadgets to have.
Looking for a warm breakfast that fills the house with the aroma, waking everyone with an appetite for a delicious homemade...
When it comes to slow cookers, we tend to have a few fall back recipes that we use over and over, and it takes a powerful new...
Easter often calls a common centerpiece at your family dinner, and that's ham. So, pressure's on!
While I love root veggies, they can take a long time to cook. Plus, my oven lets off a lot of heat, making me hesitant to use it...
Is anybody else obsessed with Heluva Good Dip? I'm seriously addicted.
Corn on the Cob is almost in season in our area, but it's already available in grocery stores and is the perfect summer side dish!