It’s that time of year…the leaves are (almost) gone, the air is crisp and I’m finding myself craving all things warm and comforting. That means soups, stews and of course all the hot beverages I can get my hands on. Tea and lattes are fine and all, but sometimes it’s nice to indulge in something a little… stronger. If you’re looking for a warming, comforting adult beverage to make this chilly season, give this slow cooker spiked cider a try and watch all your friends turn up at your doorstep just because they “were in the neighborhood”.
- 4 liters of apple cider or cloudy apple juice
- 1 orange
- A 1-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 3 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1 tbsp whole cloves
- 5 star anise pods
- 5 whole cardamom pods
- 1 1/2 cups bourbon, brandy, or dark rum
- Cinnamon sticks for garnish
- Slow cooker
- Cheesecloth or coffee filters
- Cutting board
- Kitchen twine
- Pour the cider or apple juice into a 5-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cut the orange into 1/4-inch-thick rounds and cut the ginger into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add both to the slow cooker.
- Place the cloves, star anise pods and cardamom in a double layer of cheesecloth or coffee filter, gather it up into a bundle, and tie closed with kitchen twine. Add to the slow cooker along with the cinnamon sticks.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker and cook for about 4 hours on low. Add the bourbon, brandy, or rum and stir to combine. Let sit on warm for 10 minutes for the flavors to meld. Keep warm and serve in glasses garnished with a cinnamon stick.
Some would consider quinoa a superfood, and for good reason! It's chock full of vitamins and minerals and is an excellent source...
When I dip, you dip, we dip! Chips that is. I'm a sucker for a good chip and dip combo whether it's a Friday night movie in or I'm...
Fish is full of healthy fats, making it the perfect well-rounded dinner.
The Fourth of July is just around the corner and that means you're probably starting to plan your menu!
Poached eggs are a delicious addition to your breakfast and a great way to add protein without all the extra oil of a fried egg.
Canada Day is right around the corner and that means you're probably starting to plan your menu!
Is anybody else obsessed with Heluva Good Dip? I'm seriously addicted.
Corn on the Cob is almost in season in our area, but it's already available in grocery stores and is the perfect summer side dish!
Breakfast is often called the most important meal of the day. It can also be the most delicious meal of the day!
We love a good copycat recipe here at Forkly and this Wendy's chocolate frosty is no exception!
Granola bars are perfect for so many moments: breakfast time; an at-work or school-safe snack; a picnic, playground, or...
Barbeque sauce is a summer staple, but it's a hard one to get around if you're on the Keto diet since it's generally packed full...