We all know that the best part of apple crisp is that crunchy buttery rich topping that blankets those softened cinnamon spiced apples. This is pretty easy to achieve in the oven (a dry cooking environment) but like anything cooked in the oven, you have to babysit it. The beauty of the slow cooker is the ‘set it and forget it’ philosophy. The machine does the work for you and most new models will even shut off automatically when desired cooking time is achieved. The only catch is that they create a pretty moist environment, which isn’t ideal for creating anything crispy. This problem is easily solved however by draping a few paper towels over top of the slow cooker before putting the lid on. This will absorb moisture and prevent it from dripping, ensuring the topping stays perfectly crispy.
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- Non-stick spray for coating dish
- 5 or 6 apples, (about 3 lbs) peeled, cored and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Medium bowl
- Slow cooker
- Paper towel
- Place all topping ingredients, except butter, into a medium bowl and stir to combine. Add butter and mix with a spoon or your hands until the topping is crumbly with pieces the size of small peas. Set aside.
- Spray the insert of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and lemon juice to the slow cooker, stir to combine, and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle the topping evenly over the apples.
- Place a few sheets of paper towel over top of the slow cooker, making sure it covers the whole thing. Place the lid on top and cook on high for 1.5 hours or low for 2.5-3 hours or until topping is browned and fruit is tender.
- Turn off slow cooker and let cool for 15 minutes. Serve, with or without ice cream.
Like the newly popular kitchen gadget, the Instant Pot, the slow cooker still makes the top favorite kitchen gadgets to have.
Looking for a warm breakfast that fills the house with the aroma, waking everyone with an appetite for a delicious homemade...
Slow cookers, or crockpots, are a great time saving appliance. They work though electrical heating and cook over a number of...
Potlucks are a year-round thing. Family gatherings, office luncheons, community events and of course - the holiday season.
Adopting a plant based lifestyle does not mean you sacrifice on flavor and big hearty meals.
When it comes to slow cookers, we tend to have a few fall back recipes that we use over and over, and it takes a powerful new...
Easter often calls a common centerpiece at your family dinner, and that's ham. So, pressure's on!
When it comes to potlucks, there's one classic dish that always seems to make the table, and that's crockpot meatballs.
A healthy Cajun, dump-in-the-slow-cooker dinner is the exactly what you need to fit a whole hearty dinner into your already pretty...
I'm not sure how your family does the holiday feasts, but in our home - stuffing was king.
After all the hours and hard work you put into Thanksgiving dinner, it's eaten within half an hour and you're left with a ton of...
We've seen hasselback potatoes and chicken, breads and more. It's no wonder that this favorite fall squash side would cook up...