There’s nothing quite like digging into a bowl of hot chili on a cold and dreary day. What’s even better is when that chili practically made itself. This recipe is done in the slow cooker (crock pot) so it’s as easy as adding in the ingredients in the morning, simmer away and by dinner time, you’ll have a rich and delicious chili that combines some of the best flavors of Fall. Pumpkin, lean ground turkey and white beans make this a super satisfying dinner that not only tastes great, but also ranks high on the health scale.
- 2lbs lean ground turkey meat
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups canned pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cans white beans (or navy beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn kernels, drained
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobe sauce (canned)
- 1 can chopped green chili peppers
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
- 2 bay leaves
- Cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- Diced green onion, for garnish (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- Large slow cooker
- Large skillet
- Large spoon
- Saute turkey meat until no longer pink, add chopped onion and garlic and cook until onion is softened. Add to slow cooker.
- Add all remaining ingredients, and stir to combine
- Set slow cooker on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours and simmer.
- When cooked, open lid and remove bay leaves. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Stir well and serve, garnishing with the green onions and cilantro.
Summer is finally here and it's a hot one! The easiest way to cool down (besides living in front of the A/C unit) is a cold treat,...
The temperature is warm and the sun is shining. That means it's perfect picnic season.
It's easy to get into the habit of throwing whatever pre-packaged items you have in your house into your bag before you run out...
Thanksgiving in its entirety no longer has to rest on the shoulders of the family matriarch.
Granola is delicious breakfast food, whether it's with yogurt, milk (or non-dairy milk!), or on its own.
It’s a wonder how much we can pack into a work week! Limited time is often why we hardly have time for healthy eating.
The weeknights can be one of the most hectic times during the week, especially for those who have families that are involved in a...
From traditional beef and kidney bean chili con carne to lean turkey or vegetarian chilies—these cozy stove-top pots or mellow...
I don't know about you, but chili is a common Sunday dinner in my family.
Super Bowl is one of the biggest food events of the year. A Super Bowl party just wouldn't be a Super Bowl party without some kind...
I hate to admit it, but growing up meatloaf was a dinner I never looked forward to. Mashed meat with sauce slabbed on top.
Is it time to give your grilled cheese a makeover? Grilled cheese is well known to be America's favorite sandwich.