If you’re in the mood for some good old fashioned comfort food, you’ve come to the right place because this cauliflower cheese bake hits all the right notes; ooey -check, gooey -check, cheesy -check. In fact, there’s a LOT of cheese in this recipe, so if you have some dairy-free friends, this wouldn’t be the night to invite them around. Cauliflower cheese has been a classic British comfort food for decades so it’s high time that North America gets a taste of this creamy comfort sensation.
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into medium-small florets
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- 2 teaspoons mustard powder
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- Pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ¼ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup grated gruyere cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cups fresh (untoasted) bread crumbs
- Large saucepan
- Medium saucepan
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Liquid measuring cup
- Large ovenproof baking dish (greased)
- Preheat oven to 400℉
- Steam or parboil cauliflower florets until tender but still firm. (about 10 minutes for steaming or 6-7 minutes for boiling) Drain cauliflower and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over high heat, add flour and whisk to combine, cook for one minute more and then add mustard powder, nutmeg, cayenne salt and stir.
- Slowly add the milk in a steady drizzle, while continuing to whisk so that no lumps form. Add salt and pepper to taste and bring mixture to a simmer so that it thickens.
- Stir in 1 cup grated cheddar and ¼ cup grated gruyere cheeses and stir until melted and combined.
- Spread cauliflower florets in the greased baking dish and pour cheese sauce over in an even layer.
- Sprinkle the top with remaining cheddar, parmesan cheese and fresh bread crumbs and place in the oven.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden bronzed.
- Serve to the hungry mob that by this point, will be gathered in the kitchen with anticipation.