Looking for a meat-free alternative to a classic chicken salad sandwich? We’ve got it for you. The chunky, flavorful, protein-rich power of chickpeas makes this a tangy salad that will satisfy you much beyond lunch.
When we made this recipe, it was clear it was going to be good…because I couldn’t keep my tasting spoon out of the bowl! I loved the kicks of mustard, and the sweetness of apple, it’s ridiculously satisfying.
What else I love? It doesn’t need refrigeration! Since there’s no dairy or meat products in the sandwich…it can safely be packed up at room temperature without risk.
Also, just a little side note – but if you’d like a little extra kick, a shot of Sriracha won’t hurt 😉
- 1 Medium Carrot, peeled & shredded
- 1 (15oz) can of Chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1/4 cup Celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup Green Apple, diced small
- 1/4 cup Red Onion, diced small
- 1/2 cup Kale pieces
- 1 Tbsp Cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup Dijon Mustard (we used grainy)
- 2 tsbp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds (shells removed)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Optional** Sriracha, for spice!
- Bread for serving (we used a Gluten Free variety!)
- Food Processor (can use a shredder and potato masher in substitute)
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Start by shredding your carrot in your food processor, setting aside. Next, add your chickpeas into the food processor and pulse just until it's chunky, but not completely blended (only pulse a few times for this!). If you don't have a food processor, you can hand shred the carrots, and mash the chickpeas with a potato masher easily!
- In a large mixing bowl, begin mixing your chickpeas with the shredded carrots, and the rest of the ingredients until well blended.
- Season and spice to taste, then spoon onto sandwich bread, spread, slice and enjoy!
The days are getting shorter, and the leaves are changing color and we are slowly settling into fall weather.
There's just something about the refreshing taste of a pickle. Often served as an appetizer or a lunch side, they're most likely...
A lot of us make a huge effort to make sure the content of our cupboards and kitchens reflect the lifestyle we want to live and...
We all know that eating healthy foods helps you achieve a strong body, right?
Looking for a new way to serve up an easy, yet impressive appetizer for your next meal or potluck?
When preparing meals for our children, we always try to ensure their meals are packed with as many good things as possible.
We've been cooking up recipes for a while now, and if there's one thing that we come back to time and time again, in everyday life...
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but it can also become the most uninspiring meal when you have limited time to...
A new year, a new you! We hear that phrase all the time as we are all getting ready for the new year ahead.
Quick and easy dinners are often a goal for so many, but that doesn't always mean it's healthy, too.
We know that you probably wouldn't give up your morning coffee—regardless of the health risks.
A kitchen clean out is always necessary at least a few times in a year and it always starts with throwing out sauces and...