So you’ve volunteered yourself to bring a salad to your Canada Day festivities this weekend. Splendid! Something cold you can whip up ahead of time! This salad is a classic pasta salad, with a twist. A firecracker twist! And by “firecracker” we mean…just a little kick of spice (thanks to our good friend, sriracha).
This recipe gets Canadian with red & white pasta you dye yourself, and all the fixings too. It’s a delicious addition to your spread, with minimal effort but all the impressive nature you desire when bringing food to a potluck. Let’s be real, it’s like standing in front of a panel of judges made up of your family & friends eating your food. We get it. It’s basically a small scale competition between you and Aunt May.
Make this your year, with a pasta that will have everyone buzzing!
- 1 454g box bowtie (farfalle) pasta - cooked al dente, drained & cooled.
- 1/2 bottle Italian salad dressing
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped red peppers
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella, bite sized
- 1/2 cup chorizo sliced (can also use mini pepperoni)
- 1/2 can white beans, drained & rinsed (white kidney or cannelini beans)
- Sriracha sauce, to taste
- 20 drops red food coloring (more or less)
- Large mixing bowl
- Large Ziploc Bag
- With your pre-cooked pasta bowties, remove about 1/2 of them, and place into a ziploc bag. Add in about 20 drops of red food coloring, seal and shake until the color is well distributed.
- Add the red pasta back into the uncolored "white" pasta, and begin to add the rest of your ingredients - onion, beans, tomatoes, mozzarella, chorizo/pepperoni, italian salad dressing & sriracha sauce.
- Lightly toss until everything is well coated. The dye CAN run if you over-mix, so try to avoid this the best you can.
- Set aside in your refrigerator until you are ready to serve! Garnish with parmesan cheese, if you choose.
I do not own much red in my wardrobe. In fact, the only red I DO own, is for one day only.
Canada Day weekend is almost here and what better way to celebrate it than with poutine!
Oh Canada! From river wide and racing to prairie flat and vast. From rocky shore to soaring city tower—this Tuesday, July 1,...
The very special and much anticipated Canada Day weekend is approaching and we are starting to plan our parties!
As a Canadian, I should be ashamed of myself. I just found out that the beginning of February (the first week, in fact) was La...
Canada Day is coming up and we can't wait to celebrate! But, what makes Canada so special anyway?
We’ve all been there. You’ve had a long day, and you want a simple dinner idea that isn’t going to leave you in the kitchen...
Be still my beating Italian heart... just kidding, I'm not Italian and you don't have to be either to enjoy this hearty...
Forget traditional pasta casseroles! With the noodles standing upright, the sauce and cheese bake down into the pasta making each...
As a mother of 3, making dinners are often made with the intention of leftovers. Why? Well...lunches the next day!
A tasty pasta salad made with a gluten-free corn based spaghetti made with fresh summer veggies such as cherry tomatoes, zucchini,...
These baked crispy raviolis are like bite sized pasta casseroles you can serve at a party, or enjoy for dinner.